Young men and women are able to develop essential leadership skills and a pathway to success through structured practices in maritime and organizational skills. Sea Scouting is designed for young men and women, who have graduated 8th grade through 20 years old. This life-changing opportunity will allow you to:
- Sail the California coastline and farther
- Make friends in your ship that will last a lifetime
- Build your leadership abilities and resume
- Become a steward of the ocean through community service
- Compete in skills competitions, sailing races, and other fun activities.
The three Sea Scout Ships located at the Newport Sea Base, Ship 1767 “Tritons”, Ship 90 “Renegades” and Ship 711 “Del Mar” are among the most active and successful in the region. In 2010, Vanya Keyes, from Ship 90 was selected as the National Boatswain, the youth representative of the U.S. Sea Scout program. The previous year, Ship 90 was selected by the National Sea Scout Committee as the National Flagship, as the best program in the nation. It is the second Sea Scout ship at the Newport Sea Base to be awarded this great honor, with Ship 711 earning this distinction in 2006.
The 6th biennial William I. Koch International Sea Scout Cup was held in July at the California Maritime Academy and mulitple teams of Sea Scouts from Orange County competed. Jack Donnell and Brooke Stinson of SSS 90, Newport Beach, won the championship! Sea Scouts from the U.S. and nine other nations raced against each other during this seven day event. Having won four of the six Koch Cups (three by Ship 711), the Newport Sea Scouts look to get back to defending their winning ways at the 2014 Koch Cup, which will be held at the Long Beach Yacht Club and Long Beach Sea Base, June 22-28, 2014.
Newport Sea Base is home to three Sea Scout Ships: the co-educational Tritons and Renegades, and the all-male Del Mar. All three ships meet on Wednesday evenings at Newport Sea Base at 7 p.m.
For more information on the Ships located in Orange County, contact the following Skippers.
- Ship 711 Del Mar Skipper: Mike Stewart Phone: (949) 500-6249 (Newport Beach)
- Ship 90 Renegades Skipper: Bill Moseley Phone: (949) 929-2367 (Newport Beach)
- Ship 1767 Triton Skipper: Phil McNamee Phone: (714) 608-7686 (Newport Beach)
- Ship 936 Mariners Skipper: Jim Wehan Phone: (949) 493-3952 (Dana Point)
For more information about Sea Scouts in Orange County contact Newport Sea Base Executive Director Tom Hartmann at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or to find out more about Sea Scouts nationally, go to http://www.seascout.org/